Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

FINANCE, BOWLS, CATERING

Dear All

Financial Position

On the 16 July a newsletter was distributed setting out the financial position of BIBC Ltd and the membership arrangements for the coming year commencing 1 September 2021.

Not sure why, but queries to the administrative staff seem to suggest that some members are reluctant to join because ‘we might go bust if we don’t get 500 members’.

This couldn’t be further from the truth.

Before the pandemic we had 650 members, but in the July newsletter I said that if we attained a membership of 400 in September (currently 270) we could restrict the annual loss to £30k and with 500 members we might just about ‘split even’.

And we also had reserves of about £100k; so with 400 members we would still have reserves of £70k left at the end of the 1st year post pandemic.

I also mentioned one further glimmer of hope – I was still negotiating with our insurers on business interruption insurance valid during the first lockdown. I have agreed an interim payment of £26232, but am still arguing for a little bit more in relation to forced closing times for the bar/catering facilities.

We are not going bust in the foreseeable future – our reserves would last for at least 3-4 years even under the worst scenario giving us plenty of time to adjust expenditure.

Bowling and Opening Arrangements

Other queries to staff about membership have been about these. 

As some of you might have seen, because of a lack of volunteers at the Club AGM, I have agreed to organise the leagues for next year. Yesterday, I began contacting former captains, asking if they are still going to be one, whether they think they still have a team, etc, etc.

We intend to run a full programme of leagues, like that up to 2019/20, commencing on Monday October 18th.

As for opening arrangements full winter opening hours will start on Monday 20 September. From 1 September the Club will be open and staffed from 9 am to 5pm on weekdays and 9 am to 12 noon on Saturdays and Sundays. Furthermore, from 1 September, to allow for workers, the club could be open (but not staffed) by prior arrangement on a Thursday evening until 10:30 pm.

And don’t forget we now have a fresh air system operating alongside the air conditioning/heating units.

Catering Arrangements

The new franchisee has taken over the catering with a great selection of drinks and meals. They are open for you to use right now.

Geoff Boyd

Finance Director

2nd October 2021.